Thursday, August 23, 2012

WHAT'S THE SCENTS?


HERE'S MY TWO SCENTS WORTH........

The first scent is the od’de mothballs.  Under new knowledge and the desire to experiment, Dave sprinkled mothballs in the storage areas under the MH to keep bugs out of the compartment and help with a musty smell.  In addition he added a jar of mothballs to the inside of the MH while it was stored in Florida.

GAG ME WITH A SPOON”  ….   

The scent of mothballs has never been a favorite of mine.  It always reminded me of an old lady’s home where mothballs are sprinkled  around the back of the sofa to keep the cockroaches away.  I remember moving to Florida and hearing that was a good way to make sure bugs didn’t get into your house and also something about mildew….so I guess Dave wasn’t that far off.

The scent of mothballs  also reminds me of the wool sweaters that were stashed away, over the summer, in the chest.  Always the cold came upon us unexpectedly and these sweaters were yanked out of the chest and worn before they had a chance to be dry cleaned and rid of the smell.  At least they weren’t holey!

So, mothballs are not my favorite scent.   Over the summer the strength of the smell has dissipated and I’ve almost forgotten that it exists.  Until…..the mice came to live here.  They don’t mind the scent of mothballs!

I hate sharing my quarters with rodents.  I noticed that my kitchen utensil drawers were filling up with black seeds and that my countertops were looking like someone had dropped a piece of rye bread.   Dave put sticky mouse traps under the cabinets behind the drawers but they don’t seem to be doing the trick. 

One evening while Billy and I were sitting on the couch watching a movie, we heard a commotion eminating from under the cabinets.  Both of us looked up at the same time, then Billy looked at me.  Guess he felt safe since I was only a fraction of an inch away!  When Dave checked the next morning, he said the trap had been moved and it had fur in it so now  we probably have a mouse with a bald spot lurking around under the counters. 

I have cleaned out the drawers several times to the point that I have removed the silverware and have it stowed in a piece of furniture that I brought with me.  The knives are in a box with a cover. 

The other day I read about the camper who died of the Hantavirus caused by field mice in the tents in Yellowstone or some such place.  I am forever disinfecting the countertops.  I am not happy about the rodents living with us.

I read where an RV’er sprinkled dried potato flakes around his RV because he read that the mice eat the dried potatoes and it blew up in their stomachs so they stayed away from the RV.  I went shopping but forgot to buy the dried potato flakes.

I had lunch with my cousin yesterday and we talked about their cabin in Canada.  I asked whether they had problems with mice and she said they did and when they close up the cabin they take fabric softener sheets and place them between the mattress and box springs because the mice don’t like the smell of fabric softener sheets.

I came home with this recommendation and we went out and bought Bounce as Dave heard that Bounce works best.  The Bounce sheets are now in all the cabinets and under the cabinets and behind the cabinets.  The entire motor home smells of Bounce with a hint of moth balls. 

This morning Dave caught a mouse … it was in the spring trap and had back up and got stuck on the sticky trap.  That mouse was having a very bad day! 

All I can smell is Bounce.  I hope the mice have a good sense of smell, because the one Dave disposed of this morning got caught in both traps amongst the Bounce sheets.

I hate mice.  Not crazy about mothballs.  Not sure about Bounce.  May never use a fabric softener sheet in my laundry again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

JETTY PARK CRUISERS

January 13, 2014 Back on the road again, for a short while, heading down to Jetty Park with friends from home. Since Michigan ........