Saturday, April 28, 2012

GETTING READY...ON THE ROAD....AGAIN





Returned from our abbreviated boat trip April 13th which wasn't all bad.  I was able to celebrate my son's birthday with him on the 21st - usually we are off sailing somewhere at this time.  Since we are home, we are going to leave on our trip north earlier which means we'll be covering more territory.  First things first however.....

Decided to purchase a car tow dolly with electric brakes.  We used a car tow dolly with no brakes to transport the car to North Carolina two years ago and around the state but since we are planning on traveling about 4,000 miles total dragging the CTS backwards behind us, we really needed an updated tow dolly with the requisite brakes!  

Of course it isn't just simply buying a dolly with brakes.  You need the brake controller installed in the MH.  I priced those out and the cheapest (least expensive) was $99.  plus $200 installation.  Dave remembered we had one installed in the Trooper when we had the travel trailer.  Luckily for us, we sold the Trooper to my son so it was still in the family and we could retrieve the brake controller.  Dave thinks he can install it himself so we'll see how that all goes.

Went over to the MH to measure the passenger side window.  I am going to make a sunshade from phifertex to block out the sun streaming in from the upper window.  I've used phifertex on the boat making sunshade covers for the hatches and it is really effective.  Ordered a yard from Sailrite for $20 including shipping and will attach it by velcro to the upper window.

While over in the MH, I noticed a new colony of spiders and webs crisscrossing the dashboard from cupboard to mirrors!  We had the MH out in February when we headed for St Pete and I did a thorough cleaning resulting from the storage from November to February.  I noticed the insects have settled in quite nicely from February to April so will bring the MH over to the house and do another thorough cleaning!

Need to take a close look at the awning to see if it will go for another year.  Replacement of the vinyl and installation was quoted at $500 so would like it to be good for another year.

Our plan is to purchase the tow dolly from Camping World on our way out of the State.  We are planning the trip launch to coincide with an RV trip with our group of friends from the yacht club weekend of May 9,10,11.The RV group is camping in Brunswick Georgia so   I'll get to see Jekyll Island and St Simon by car rather than by boat so all is not lost!  

From this weekend we'll head to Charleston (James Island County Park) for four days and tour Charleston SC.  We'll  be heading into western NC heading for Sylva NC west of Asheville.   This will be a new area for us and we can explore Bryson City area.  Then....to Bardstown KY to finish off the Bourbon distilleries we missed or want to see again.  Memorial Day Weekend will be spent at VJ's Pond in Coldwater Ohio so that Dave can visit with family.

This will launch us north and our plans as of now are Gettysburg, Seneca NY Fingerlakes Region for more wine tasting  & Niagara to view the natural wonders and the Ice Wines!      After that it's anyone's guess but we'll have three weeks roam around before we need to be at Mt Ascutney State Park in WIndsor Vermont where we will be campground hosting for the months of July and August.

Vermont has a special meaning for me because it's where my original roots are from.  Way back around the Revolutionary War both sides of my family settled in the same area of Vermont - Rutland.  

However, my Dad's family moved west through New York fifty years after the Declaration of Independence was signed and the westward movement was strong and then on into Illinois which is where my Dad thought he was originally from ..... until the fateful day when the geneology of the Blood family was published and he found the original brothers came over from Scotland.   Robert Blood settled in Putney Vermont.  Jonathan Blood, his son, was a large landowner and dairy farmer in Putney.  We are descendents of Horace Blood, son of Jonathan.     Putney is in the same area as West Rutland where my mother's family originated.

It's a funny family story that still tickles me today.  When I was twelve, my mother took me to a cemetery in Menden VT where I was able to trace by grandfather's family (Noyes) back before the Revolutionary War by reading the headstones.   I am going to do my damnest to find that cemetery.


APRIL 28TH


 - brought the MH back to the house to do some cleaning and repairing. Removed all dishes, cooking utensils, etc to wash up.  Open a small drawer to find a gigantic spider!!!  Didn't have my camera so you'll have to take my word for it!  It was HUGE!!!!!  Removed the drawers and sprayed like hell!  Oh joy.


On the passenger side of the MH the window goes all the way to the top and the sun beats down thru that top corner.  The phifertex I ordered came and now I'm ready to create my shade.  Took the measurements and will attach with small velcro circles.  I am also making one that I can stick to the windshield using suction cups ..... if I can find a place to purchase suction cups.  I'm hoping Home Depot sells them.  


Kitchen is pretty much a mess with stuff going to the MH on the dining room table.  I've segregated kitchen tools that I think I use all the time.  If I do, then those will go to the MH just before we leave.  I don't want to overkill on utensils; however we will be gone six months so deserve to have my favorites with me.  That's my working premise.


Bought a new 32" LCD TV to replace the two 27" TV's that blew out within a week of each other last summer.  We were relegated to a 17" that we used on the boat.


We decided to remove the seat that is behind the passenger seat and put a TV credenza in that spot so that watching TV is ergonomically and comfortably easier.  When it's mounted over the driver's seat, you have to look up and the seats are too close to it.  By putting it on a credenza across from the couch you'll be able to view it by sitting on the couch and also by swiveling the driver's seat around.  It should be more comfortable.  Also gives us a little more storage space and also floor space as the credenza does not take up the same depth as the chair.  As we get closer to leaving it's getting more exciting.  


MAY 1, 2012


One would think removing a chair from the MH would be a simple matter.  Nothing seems to be easy although in comparison with a boat, altering or re-engineering in a motorhome is easier.  Today we drove the MH over to the warehouse to remove the seat behind the passenger side to install a credenza we picked up on sale at Target for $14.00.  The seat is bolted through the MH floor so Dave had to get under the MH and I had the socket wrench on the bolt under the seat --- which of course is not easy to get to -- and we yanked, banged and pulled until the bolt was loosened.  One down and three to go.  Of course it was hotter than blazes in the MH as the sun beat down on the coach, the temperature got hotter.  


MAY 5, 2012


Brought the MH over to the house to load stuff.  Also tried out my new sun screens and they really work well.  I've used velcro to attach the passenger's side sunscreen to the window and found suction cups at Home Depot so will be able to move the sunscreen on the windshield around.  These were so easy to make, it's ridiculous to spend money on the internet for sun screen/blockers.


MAY 7, 2012


Getting closer to leaving.  Dinning room table is full of clothes ..... mine!  Dave is in the process of closing the boat down and it's becoming a process.


First the oil leak has become more critical.  Dave drained the engine of oil.  Will deal with that in the fall.


Second he investigated my complaints about the diesel smell which is more than a dirty bilge!  Apparently we have a leak in the fuel tank.......so he spent the last two days pumping the fuel out of the tank at a gallon an hour into the jerry jugs.  Will deal with that in the fall.


Outboard engine is at the warehouse.   Will deal with that in the fall.   


The fall is looking less inviting every day!


Two more days!





No comments:

Post a Comment

JETTY PARK CRUISERS

January 13, 2014 Back on the road again, for a short while, heading down to Jetty Park with friends from home. Since Michigan ........