Monday, August 19, 2013

MAGICAL MICHIGAN - HOSTING DAZE 2&3



After lunch we took a drive down to the Channel Campground to walk the Ship’s Channel which extends from Lake Muskegon to Lake Michigan.  

Lake Muskegon Marker


It was a beautiful day, in the mid-70’s with sunny skies.  There were lots and lots of boats on in that channel heading out to Lake Michigan or coming back.



A friend of mine, who had a boat on Lake Michigan, would tell me that he was compelled to go out every weekend and use the boat because the season was so short.  Everyone looked like they were having a great time.



There were as many sailboats coming and going as power boats.  Did not see many large power boats, most were in the 18-20’ range.  Sailboats ranged from 22’ to 36’.

Catalina 36 ..... could be us!

There are two breakwaters out in Lake Michigan which serve as little harbors and boats go in there to anchor and swim to the beaches. 

Entering Lake Michigan for a day of sailing.

Muskegon is situated between Luddington and Grand Haven so larger boats can skip up or down the coast.  Many of the harbors along Lake Michigan coast have marinas designated Harbors of Refuge.   Muskegon’s Hartshorn Marina is on this list and any boaters traveling the Great Lakes have a list of what marinas are Harbors of Refuge.


 A smaller S2 than we had.


Muskegon Light .... I LOVE a red lighthouse!

Just like SASSY!

Our 30' sailboat was an S2 which was made in Holland MI.  This is about the only place (other than Smyrna Yacht Club) where you see S2's and up here there are quite a few.



What does a passionate sailor who is traveling in a land yacht do???? Take pictures of sailboats and lighthouses!


 PARADE OF BOATS HEADING OUT!

Marker for Muskegon 

 As we were leaving I heard one long blast but didn't see a large boat. 


 Then I saw it ..... the fast cat ferry between Muskegon and Milwaukee.  Guess it beats driving around the lake!



BILLY ASKS.....WHAT'S SCARY SMART???  

I’ve heard that I’m scary smart but don’t know what that means.  I just remember stuff.  

Like when I went to Dog Obedience School and we learned a new skill that I was going to practice the following week but got it on the second try.  Stuff just comes easy to me.  The teacher at the dog obedience classes told everyone that it takes about 6 weeks to establish a pattern with us dogs and about the 4th week the dogs would act like they had never been to school, so don’t worry, just keep practicing the skills.  Then she looked at me and said, “except for him….he won’t forget!”

I spent the last two summers running on trails with my Forever Parents and it was so much fun with all new stuff to sniff.  I even found bear scat last summer in Vermont.  

Even though I walk on the sidewalks at home every day, when my forever parents take me to a campground, I can tell immediately the difference between the road and a trail and a campsite.  I head right for the trails and if my Forever parents let me off the leash, I follow the trail.  Why would I wander in the woods when I have a perfectly good trail to go down.  Of course, I have to keep looking over my shoulder to be sure Forever Mom and Dad are still behind me.  They are slower than I am but I need them to stay with them.

When got to the family resort in Ohio, I knew immediately where we were and remembered the pond from the summer before.  Headed right for that wonderful water and the fish and even knew when Forever Uncle VJ was going to feed the fish!

We went on a LONG car ride until we got to a new place that had new trails.  

Of course I know the difference between the road, a campsite and a trail.  Trails look totally different.

...and I have to walk down them.   At the end of this trail was a huge sand dune and then a big, big, big pond!    Something about a bear sleeping and I hope he stays asleep!  I romped in the sand and had a great, great time.

Now I’m in a new place in Michigan and looks like we are going to stay a while. 



We all walked a concrete sidewalk along some water with boats going back and forth.  When we got to one end over the big rocks was a beach and water and a dog playing fetch in the water.  



I needed to be there with him but couldn’t get down to the beach.  I started to cry because that looked like so much fun and I just needed to be there.  

So, Forever Dad took me back up the walk where the dune came down onto the sidewalk and we slid between the barriers and he took me to the beach.  


Oh, the sand felt so good on my paws!  I romped and jumped and went into the water and then we had to leave because I’m not supposed to be there.



When we got back to our home, I knew exactly where that big water and beach would be.  

I took the leash in my mouth and led my Forever Parents to the big dune in the campground and down those steps were my beach and my water.  I needed to go down there but wasn’t allowed.  

So now, every walk has to start at the top of the dune so that I can survey my beach and my water to make sure everything is OK.  I let out a couple of barks to let anyone know I’m here and to be careful!

Now, what’s so scary smart about that!  I think it’s just SMART!


SUNDAY  - AUGUST 18TH

Sunday’s coffee hour was in full swing with  lots and lots of donuts.  Didn’t even bother to cut them in half.  Campers are busy leaving with 56 more checking in.  Another beautiful day in the low 70’s, sunny with bright blue skies.  Water temps 55. 

Apparently earlier this month the water temperatures were in the 70’s but the water got stirred up and now it’s in the 50’s.   I remember when this happened in Suttons Bay visiting Ron & Joanie.  Ron raved about how warm the water had been so I donned my bathing suit to go for a swim and came straight out of the water!  Ron went in after me and did the same thing!  The winds blew all the warm water out and replaced it with cold water.  Guess that’s happening here, but it does not deter the beach goers or the swimmers!



Those people in the water swimming are probably the same ones who come to Florida in January and swim in the ocean that is too cold for us to put our big toe in (65 degrees).  Guess it’s warmer than a warm day on Lake Michigan.

Several motor boats and a sail boat were anchored close to shore enjoying this beautiful Sunday!

Although it was hazy with the land temps warmer than the water, I counted 17 sailboats out on the water (probably more beyond the horizon).  They were not racing, they were sailing.  How many times have we seen 17 sailboats off of New Smyrna, just out there sailing!

A beautiful sunset ended the day.  

Life is good in Magical Michigan!

No comments:

Post a Comment

JETTY PARK CRUISERS

January 13, 2014 Back on the road again, for a short while, heading down to Jetty Park with friends from home. Since Michigan ........