Monday, August 19, 2013

MAGICAL MICHIGAN - HOSTING DAZE 4

THIS ARTS & CRAFTS STUFF IS SERIOUS!

Hung around the campground till about 2:30 then decided to take some time off and drive down to Grand Haven.  The town has a nice two or three blocks of stores that looked very inviting to walk into, but when you’re with Dave, you see everything at 35 MPH!  He’d rather pull his teeth than walk around shops.

So………..reading off the stores’ names as we passed, we headed into Grand Haven State Park to take a look.





The Park is right on the water with a very large beach.  


The Campground is a parking lot/beach setting.  

The sites are on a paved road and the beach is right there.  A different type of camping experience.  


The campground host was telling us he spends a lot of time blowing off the sand from the sidewalks.  This is truly a beach setting for camping.




Off in the distance is the Grand Haven light, but it was so hazy on the water, you could just make it out.







We stopped to talk with the hosts at the state park as I was curious about this “craft” thing.  Janette and Bob and their dog Dakota are the hosts.  Janette was really into the craft thing and had lots and lots of ideas to share and show me.  Had I realized this was going to be a big part of hosting (although not required I’m reminded) I would have done some major research before getting here.  As it was, I should have brought a pad and paper so I could remember everything.  Then I tempered it by saying …. I’m only going to be here for three arts and craft events so I should keep it simple.

Janette showed me a lighthouse she made out of red solo cups (isn’t there a song about that?).  It was really cute and looked easy enough to do.  Also looked at a kids Nature Bingo sheet where they find things in the campground and get their bingo’s that way. Scooped up a copy of that too.  Left the campground armed with ideas and directions to the local Dollar Tree!

So…………on our way out of town, we stopped at the Dollar Tree and bought red solo cups and other stuff we’d need and little gems for prizes for anything we do like scavenger hunts or nature bingo.

Tomorrow we are having lunch with Laurie and Dale the hosts at the Channel Campground and I’ll bring my sheets along as Laurie is planning TWO arts and crafts events this week. 

I also bought finger nail polish remover because I’m liking the idea of painting rocks, but if you’re going to use fingernail polish, better have remover too!

All in all, if you space out the arts & crafts, you probably won’t catch the same kids so I can repeat, repeat, repeat.


Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

JETTY PARK CRUISERS

January 13, 2014 Back on the road again, for a short while, heading down to Jetty Park with friends from home. Since Michigan ........